Sunday, March 23, 2014

Golden birthday part deux.

Sunday, March 23, 2014
In the morning of the 23rd we had to get up pretty early to check out of the cabin. So by 10:30 or so we went and had a delicious vegan burger breakfast overlooking the water, where I ordered a $3.50 iced coffee that was super sour and bad. So, Scott took it back up to the counter where the guy proceeded to make me a free $8 coffee shake in return! From there we went to the whitest sand beach in the world for a swim and a sunbake. And just as we were arriving we saw all these guys jumping from the plane!
So much fun and so unbelievably beautiful. The most powdery sand imaginable.
From there we hopped in the car and went to a different section of the beach from the previous day for a bit of a hike. As soon as we got out of the car there were to rock wallabies just bobbing around! We got super close to them, and they were fantastic. Like a cat and a kangaroos had a baby. Then Scott found the crab with a squid for its lunch!
After a bit we stopped to eat some snacks at a picnic table, and there was a big mama roo with a blind eye and a joey! We got super close to her as well. Then two big old kookaburras were right by our table, and I got fairly close to them toooo! We laid about there for a while, and Scott picked me a few wild flowers. They're weeds, but they're beautiful and the first flowers a boy ever gave me! So they were special.
"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, mate."

Once it was time to go, we took the long way back and ran into a few kangaroos in a campground! We had some bread, so we coaxed them in, and the little one held my hands and let me pet him! Apparently it's not common for wild kangaroos to do this at all! Nor is coming in close contact with wallabies, kangaroos with joeys, kookaburras, octopuses, or any of it. I guess the universe just knew it was my day.

 

All tuckered out, we piled into the car and stopped by Shane's parent's house, where I saw a few new kinds of birds and got to see a real Australian household and meet some of my first Australian non-20-something's. They had a lovely house and a mountain view dream backyard. As we left for the long ride home we stopped at McDonalds, where I got my first burger (from there) in like...10 years. So delicious, and topped off a perfect weekend before a lovely drive home. And, even though it was great, I really do miss all you guys at home. Just so you know <3

 

No comments:

Post a Comment